The name of “Tsing Hua” comes from the earliest location “Tsing Hua Garden”.
NTHU, previously known as US Overseas Education Office, established US Graduates Hall in Tsing Hua Garden in 1909. The Office was renamed Tsing Hua Imperial College as the location changed. It was further renamed Tsing Hua School in the following year. In 1928, Nanjing Nationalist Government planned to change Tsing Hua School as Tsing Hua University. After President Luo Chia-lun strove, Tsing Hua School officially became National Tsing Hua University. As reestablished in Hsinchu, it took over the name as National Tsing Hua University.